OEFFA is a leader on organic and sustainable agriculture in Ohio.
In the Statehouse, OEFFA staff represent nearly 5,000 members and 1,300 certified organic operations. We engage our members to attend meetings and hearings and contact decision makers, building grassroots support for policies that support farmers and protect the environment.
OEFFA’s 2019 policy priorities are focused on several ways we can help more farmers work in concert with nature, be more profitable, and grow new farmers, including:
Making Investments in Regional Food Economies by:
- Supporting the Ohio Food Policy Network
- Prioritizing state agency staff focused on farm-to-institution procurement
- Investing in Ohio Produce Perks
Supporting Agriculture That Pays Ecosystem Dividends by:
- Providing resources for farmers interested in transitioning to organic
- Investing in research, education, and Extension services for organic production
- Having a state organic working group to identify ways to promote best management practices
Facilitating Agriculture for the Next Generation by:
- Increasing Extension resources for farm succession planning
- Providing tax incentives for landowners who transition their land to beginning farmers through the Family Farm ReGeneration Act
- Continuing funding for the Ohio Agricultural Easement Purchase Program (AEPP)
- Increasing the state allocation to Soil and Water Conservation Districts to ensure local staff can facilitate participation in AEPP